Resources

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

interview report no.3

Preparation
In my previous plan, I wanted to interview an Korean and I had already contacted with an Korean gay. However, when the interview day came he said that he didn't have free time these days, so I had to change my interviewee and began to get a new plan. So I contacted with one of my Human Relationship classmates, his name is Marlon Soriano. I found his e-mail from my class D2L, and I sent e-mail to him asking that would he help me with the interview from my English 191 class. He replied me with positive answer. So we decided to get the interview meeting after our class, as planning after class, we walked with talk until we got Atwood second floor. And then, we found a set of available chairs and table, when we got sites, I passed a question list to Marlon asking him that did him mind I record this interview. He thought it's no big deal, so I used my phone to record the whole interview


Interview Describe
 I started the interview by asking my interviewee's name, I was very surprising when I asked where Marlon were from, he said he born in Canada. I thought he was from Asia as international student. But he told me that he born in Canada and came to the U.S. in 1998, so he got education in America. Then I thought he could use English expertly, because he grown up in the U.S... However, I got the different information that he had to take ESL class which mean English is the Second Language, because he was lack of reading and writing skills in English. When I asked him that how did he think of making friends with Americans, he also thought that making friends with Americans were difficult, even though his language was no problem and he grown up in the USA, there was still different culture barrage lying between him and Americans. So he told me that most of his friends were second generation Asian-Americans, and he was the third generation. Marlon now lives with his family, so he said that he usually ate Philippines food which his parent cooked. And he learns the Philippines culture from what his parent told him, he also watches movies which about Philippines and reads the books. He learns and knows his original country by these. When be asked did he think of coming back to Philippine, Marlon said that he wanted to back to Canada and visited Philippine. He told me that he liked Canada more than other countries as USA, because there were a lot of Philippines committees, so living in Canada had a feeling of home, but he didn't want to back to Philippine. When Marlon identified himself, he also said that he thought he was Canadian not Philippine or Americans, even though he lives in the environment that surrounded Philippines culture and American culture.


(q=me, m=Marlon Soriano)
q- Can I know your name?
m- My name is Marlon Soriano.
q- Where are you from?
m- Emu, I was born in Canada, so I got the Canadian citizenship. But my parent is from Philippines.
q- So you are the second generation, right?
m- No, the third. My grandparent was first one.
q- So can you speak Philippines?
m- I can't speak but I can understand. My parent speak Philippines in the family, but I talk

English back to them. I just know a little bit how to speak Philippines.

q- When did you come to the USA?
m- I came here 1998.
q- What kind of Philippines festival did you spend in the USA?
m- It is the same as USA. But I usually spend Christmas with my parent.
q- What's festival you like the best?
m- It is Philippines Christmas; there are more decorations and Philippines songs and dancing.
q- Do you have New Year festival?
m- Yea, but it's similar as USA, family get together and eat dinner. But parents will drop money and children will pick them up.
q- What kind of food do you usually eat?
m- Philippines food.
q- How about American food?
m- I like Philippines food better, because my parent usually cooks Philippines food.
q- Do you like Garvey?
m- No, I don't like it; the food there is bad for your health.
q- Do you like go to restaurant? What restaurants do you like to go to?
m- I usually go to Italian and American restaurants with my parent.
q-How do you spend your free time?
m- I usually hang out with my friends, sometimes play soccer and basketball.
q- Do you like Hockey or football?
m- No I don't like Hockey and American football.
q- How do you think your life in the USA?
m- It's OK.
q- Can you compare with life in the Canada?
m- It's like the same thing, but Canada is colder.
q- How's your friendship?
m- Most of my friends from Asia, but they live in the U.S. too, like the second generation.
q- Do you think it is hard to make friends with Americans?
m- Yea.
q- Although the language is not problem and you born here education here and grown here, is it still?
m- Yea, everyone is different. I have some education problem, like I have to go to ESL; English is the second language, though English is my first language.
q- Why? I think you don't need go to ESL.
m- Because my reading and writing are not as good as Americans.
q- Do you have any plan about future?
m- No, just be normal life is OK.
q- Have you thought of coming back Philippines?
m- Emu, I want to move back Canada and visit Philippines.
q- Why do you want to back to Canada?
m- I like Canada better. There are more Philippines and Philippines committees.
q- How many children in your family?

m- I have two sister and one twin brother.
q- How do you think your family when compare with American family?
m- My family is much different than American family; my family is more likely Philippines family with Philippines culture.
q- So what's difference?
m- We eat different food, we have different manner.
q- Do you know how many religions in Philippines?
m- There are two, Christian and Islam.
q- Do Philippines have different rules of eye contact and body language in your country?
m- We usually have eye-contact when we talk with others, and we usually use hand language.
q- Do you learn Philippines culture?
m- I learn Philippines culture from my parent, they tell me their experience in Philippines; I also learn from Philippines movies and books.
q- Can you simply identify yourself? Like are you more likely Philippines or Canadian?
m- I think is Canadian, but nowadays Philippines are more likely Americans and Canadians, you know that English is the main language in Philippine.
q- Thank you very much! It's really a great time.
m- Yep.

Country report 
(geography, population, language, religion, cuisine)
 Republic of the Philippines is the full name of Philippines; it is in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. "The Philippine islands are an archipelago of over 7,000 islands lying about 500 mi (805 km) off the southeast coast of Asia."(www.infoplease.com). Philippines culture is influenced by Malay, China, and it is a combination of Eastern and Western culture (en. wikipedia. org). Philippine was occupied by Spanish, Japan, U.S... The population of Philippines is around ninety-two million, which is the world's 12th most populous country. "According to the 2000 census 28.1% of Filipinos are Tagalog, 13.1% Cebuano, 9% Ilocano, 7.6% Bisaya/Binisaya, 7.5% Hiligaynon Ilonggo, 6% Bikol, 3.4% Waray, and 25.3% are classified as other."(en.wikipedia.org)


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiYkDmtCLFaBPRfAGcW3061uo4MaVx6rOuE6f8Sc_vVUg3L8ZZDZ40NEq78ZMdC-vOVAmyGoNa6-dE24dVFMiaMszbaNmzchwNlQzPsDJ2xOO1GpQ_P5Olhk5LDwkJV3buEmPzFV1l4QG0/s1600/mphilipp.gif

In Philippines, there were more than 170 individual languages, 171 of them still living but four of them no more people speak now. However Filipino and English are the official languages.

In Philippines, more than 90% populations are Christians, and around 80% of them belong to the Roman Catholic Church; 10% of them belong to other Christian denomination. There are between 5% to 10% Filipinos believe Muslim, and most Muslim Filipinos practice Shafii, a form of Sunni Islam.

Philippines cuisines are a combination of Hispanic, Chinese, American and other Asian influence. Dishes range from the very simple, like a meal of fried salted fish and rice, to the elaborate. Unlike many of their Asian counterparts, Filipinos do not eat with chopsticks; they use western cutlery. However, possibly due to rice being the primary staple food and the popularity of a large number of stews and main dishes with broth in Philippine cuisine, the main pairing of utensils seen as the Filipino dining table is that of spoon and fork, not knife and fork.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhOOWGLuGdCtl-GCkXXILweHTqj4QmXsQC4XzXa4KqbOMrPqpS0Ti3I-D8u2_e3xPBB9kxuOMxDMGdoCUX4-f-kFJZsk9ZL7h5TqrCm6aV_rlrSUDmKC4PPqa4wdeVxfDcvI8LcwAJeljc/s1600/philippine-food1-296x300.jpg

"The National Statistics Office reports a simple literacy rate of 93.4% and a functional literacy  rate of 84.1% for 2003. Literacy is about equal for males and females."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/UST_Main_Bldg_Facade.jpg
Work Sited
"Wikipedia- Philippine". Wikipiedia. Wed. November 10, 2010. <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/UST_Main_Bldg_Facade.jpg>
“Infoplease-Word- Country- Philippines”Infopleas. Web. November 10, 2010. <http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107887.html?pageno=1>

No comments:

Post a Comment